From all of us at Green Edge,
Sunflower / MicroMix Microgreens - Some of you will get our more delicate mix this week, and some will get sunflower. They have a tangy flavor and do not store as long as the sunflower.
Slicer & Cherry Tomatoes- This week there is a mix of our hybrid slicing tomatoes and the 2 kinds of cherry tomatoes we grow – Sungold (tomato candy) and Sweet 100’s. Don’t refrigerate them for best quality.
Eggplant – These little beauties are versatile. The skin is tender enough not to peel and they don’t require blanching. They’re a favorite around here for kabobs, stir-fry or grilled for babaganoush.
Green Beans – Terrific in all of the usual ways – steamed, boiled with ham, stir-fry, sauté, or roasted.
Peppers – Mixed sweet peppers part of the bounty this week. Their flavor will enhance salads, salsa, shish kabobs, stir-fries, and many other dishes like raw with other veggies like carrots, radishes, and celery.
Lemongrass – This tropical plant functions as a source for the most delicious lemon tea, and the lower stem part of the plant is used in Thai recipes. We hope to have a large enough supply for the stem next year.
Garlic – A head of garlic this week from another of our organic grower friends. We are very pleased to be able to offer these to you.
The bread from The Village Bakery and Café is French Galette.
The cheese from Integration Acres is Chevre du Provence, pasteurized goat's milk cheese that has been rolled in kosher salt and a blend of Herbes de Provence (rosemary, thyme, savory, fennel seeds, basil, lavender and marjoram).
TIBET ROAD – 614-784-8124 (11am-6pm)
BEXLEY NATURAL MARKET – 614-252-3951 (3-8pm)
HILLIARD POWER SHACK – 614-506-3086 (4-7pm)
CLINTONVILLE COMMUNITY MARKET – 614-261-3663 (11am-8pm)
PILATES STUDIO OF CENTRAL OHIO – DUBLIN - 614-336-9502 (4-8pm)
HYACINTH BEAN – 740-594-9302 (12-6pm)
HARMONY CHIROPRACTIC – 740 592-4631 (3-7pm)
Thanks for returning your bags today! We really appreciate the extra efforts that you give to help us keep the costs of packaging to a minimum.
Directions: Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water and cool. Drain well. Place in large bowl. Mix next 5 ingredients in small bowl; stir into beans. Season with salt and peppers. Garnish with parsley and cherry tomatoes.
Green Bean and Tomato Salad
Directions: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and plunge green beans into cold water to stop cooking and retain color. They should be still be tender-crisp. In a large bowl, combine cooked and cooled green beans and chopped tomatoes. Add basil. Whisk together vinegar and oil and drizzle over beans and tomatoes. Toss until lightly coated. Serve at room temperature or refrigerated.
Miso Eggplant Shiitake Canapes
½ lb. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced 1/8” thick
1. Preheat oven to 425oF with rack in middle.
3. Turn on broiler. Toss eggplant with remaining 1½ tablespoons oil and broil in same sheet pan 4-6 inches from heat, turning once, until just tender and lightly browned on both sides, 8-12 minutes total. Leave broiler on.
4. Stir together miso, sugar, mirin, and water, and then lightly coat tops of eggplant. Broil 1 minute. Serve warm, topped with mushrooms.
Thai-Style Fusilli with Eggplant and Shiitake
6 oz. fusilli (long spiral spaghetti)
1. Fill a 4-qt. kettle three-quarters full with salted water and bring to a boil for cooking fusilli.
2. Cut eggplant into ½” cubes and transfer to a colander set over a bowl. Sprinkle eggplant lightly with salt and let drain 10 minutes. While eggplant is draining, discard stems from mushrooms and cut caps into ¾” pieces. Cut scallions diagonally into thin slices. Quarter tomatoes and chop jalapeño including seeds (wear rubber gloves). Rinse eggplant and squeeze dry, discarding any liquid in bowl.
4. While fusilli if boiling, in a large non-stick skillet cook ginger root and garlic in oil over moderately high heat stirring, until fragrant about 30 seconds. Add eggplant, mushrooms, and sauté, stirring constantly, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add scallions and sauté, stirring, until eggplant is tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, tomatoes, jalapeño, basil and salt and pepper to taste and cook just until heated through, about 30 seconds.
5. Drain fusilli in a colander and in a bowl toss with sauce.
Green Beans with Mushrooms and Peppers
1 LB. green beans
1. Boil green beans and shallots is water with season salt until green beans are crisp tender.
2. Meanwhile, sauté garlic, peppers, mushrooms, and olive oil in small skillet over medium heat.
3. Drain green beans, add the garlic, peppers and mushrooms.
4. Add margarine/butter and gently toss.
What does “tender-crisp mean?
According to Wikipedia: ‘the "tender crisp" phase refers to a state that is still offering resistance to the bite, but cooked through.’